Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Breshnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs

This will be no shocker to regular readers. The irreplaceable Mark Steyn has a new book out, America Alone: The End of the World as We Know It. I have young daughters, BTW.
Linda Frum interviewed Steyn for the National Post:
LF: Your book is very gloomy. After I read it, I glanced over at my three-year-old daughter and was filled with fear for her future.
MS: Well, I'm in this for the three year-olds. My youngest child is six now, but my little girl and your little girl, when they're our age, they will find a large number of places in what we think of as the free world, the developed world, far less congenial than we would. I mean, you and I would think nothing of hopping on a plane, going to London, Paris or Berlin. Those are going to be very uncomfortable places for a young, middle-aged Western woman circa 2020, 2030, and it's precisely because we've taken for granted this very unusual period in history. We take it for granted that it's a permanent state of affairs. It isn't. It requires incredible vigilance and incredible effort to preserve it.
I've already ordered mine. Yep, the end of the world as we know it.

Via "HotAir" you can watch a video of an interview last night on Fox with him.

Hat tip Michelle.

No comments: